Monday, April 14, 2008

A Plethora of Interests

I attended and presented at the Graduate Interdisciplinary Forum this past weekend. I really enjoyed the variety of presentations which came from various fields from places all over the campus. It made me think of my own composition classroom because there is just as much variety present. When I received my students' research papers, I got topics ranging from how homosexuals function in rural and urban settings to the history of the French foreign legion to how cricket can curb terrorism because of its increasing popularity in the middle east.
Sometimes all of the different subject areas (majors) of my students can make things complicated because they don't seem to be all that interested in ENG 110. However, when I saw diversity at the forum I saw it as an automatic positive. I am realizing that I need to see it as more of a positive in my the composition classroom as well. After all, writing is the perfect place for diversity.
I am trying to expand how I view my classes and be more appreciate of the hidden blessings that lie within my students' individualized interests.

No comments: