Monday, March 31, 2008

Literature in the Comp Classroom

Although I have a great passion for literature (my area of emphasis) I have made a conscious effort to not include it into the composition classroom. The reason for this is the negative impression other compositions article writers and teachers have given me in saying that literature teachers don't know how to teach comp and need to focus on writing and not texts.
However, then it was brought to my attention that as a literature major I have a heavy focus on analysis and this focus can relate to critical analysis in the composition classroom. I find that it also relates to the rhetorical revision paper I adapted from Moriah McCracken.
I have my students choose either the issue they wrote about for their research paper or their position paper and persuasively redesign the argument for a new venue in which they advertise a viewpoint, which can either be or not be the one advocated in their paper.
I find that they have to analyze the issue in a different light than they did for the original paper because they also have to take into consideration marketing strategies such as audience, appeal, location, etc. They are analyzing not only the issue but outside surroundings that relate as well.
I don't think this assignment direcctly relates to literature. However, it is true that the analytical aspect comes into play in an effective manner.

1 comment:

Megan M. Keadle said...

Who cares what Compositionists think about literature in the classroom. To be honest I think we should all try to bring in as many areas to the classroom as possible. Hey, I'm a tech writer and I'm teaching Composition and I have learned a great deal from both fields, things I want to combine someday when I teach again.