Thursday, February 28, 2008

My Critical Analysis

I showed my students the second draft of my critical analysis over Dave Barry's "Guys vs. Men." Before I gave them my paper we talked about the story and I got a basic sense of what they thought of it. I also asked them if they had any critiques over the piece, and most of them didn't. When I showed them my piece I told them it wasn't finished because I wanted to show them my writing and thought process. I encouraged them to make critiques as well as to share anything they thought was done well.
Most of the errors they caught were typos. However, my first class also caught onto a tangent that I had purposely left in. I introduced the error myself in the second class. In both classes we talked about how a paper needs focus and if I am going to introduce a completely new point I need to separate it into its own paragraph, exapand it, and include it in my thesis and conclusion.
All in all, the students were fairly leary to judge my paper. But, I think they were able to see to some degree that it wasn't perfect and that even teachers and "good writers" need to write multiple drafts in order to come up with the strongest final product.

No comments: